Some government agencies identify their non-core activities and engaged in outsourcing the work. Some examples are cleaning of premises and answering of telephone calls.
Most people are familiar with the tendering approach, as follows:
> specify the standard of work
> award the work to the contractor that gives the lowest cost.
The consequence is that the contractor will find the cheapest source of labour, including foreign workers. Eventually, the standard of service deteriorates. Wages continue to be depressed.
There is another way of approaching this outsourcing of non-core work, as follows:
> specify the contract price, including the wages to be paid to the workers
> award the work to the contractor that is able to give the best standard of service.
If a specified wage is given, the focus is to select the best candidates for the job. This will ensure better standard and quality of service. The contractor's task is to ensure that the human and other resources are organised efficiently to meet the rapid changes in the business environment.
I hope that more attention can be paid to this new method of outsourcing, which is based on quality of service, rather than reducing cost.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
06/29 - 07/06
- Losing its cooperative character
- Free surplus in the Life Fund
- Buy Two Life Annuities
- Fair Treatment of Policy Owners
- Long breakeven point for 30 year endowment
- Asset share in 2009
- Improve public transport
- Use of asset share in Malaysia
- Cooperative credentials
- Disclose the Asset Share of the Policy
- A Gracious Society
- Public Transport in Singapore
- Low yield on maturing Growth policy
- Losing faith
- Delay in handling a theft claim
- Ask for relevant information
- Bonus that reflect the actual experience
- Outsourcing of work
- Saving regular to buy a Life Annuity
- Switching to a new rider for Shield plan
- Is it time to invest in the stockmarket?
- Investing to get a retirement income
- Financial planning and inflation
- Put People First
- ▼ 06/29 - 07/06 (25)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)