Dear Mr Tan,
I obtained the following quotation from an Income agent.
* Living policy to cover $200,000: monthly premium $404.00
* Decreasing term (extended to cover dread disease) for $200,000 for 35 years: monthly premium $76.40.
* Difference is $327.60
You advised me to invest the difference in a large, well diversified, low cost fund. But the return of 6% per annum is not guaranteed? There will be no protection after 65 years old? Do we need not to consider that?
If you invest the difference of $327.60 for 35 years, you will get the following:
Assuming average return of 6% per annum: total after 35 years is $451,000
Assuming average return of 4% per annum: total after 35 years is $295,000
If your savings accumulate to $451,000 at the end of 35 years, you will not need to have any insurance cover. Anyway, I suspect that the sum assured and bonus under living policy will be lower than $451,000 at that time. The cash value will be even less.
I have shown the calculation assuming a lower rate of return of 4 percent per annum. The accumulated sum is still quite attractive. In my personal view, the return is likely to be better than 6%.
Although the Living policy does not look so attractive compared to "invest the difference", I must say that it offers better value than similar policies offered in the market by other insurance companies.
Wish you all the best for the Lunar New Year.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
02/18 - 02/25
- Take a flexible and transparent loan
- Philips Securities promote i-Term
- A senior couple is interested in part time work
- Lunar New Year Party
- Kind words from a cooperator friend
- Today paper, 'Mr Income' puts his feet up
- Center for Seniors
- Goodbye to Uncle Larry
- A whole life policy pegged to a child's age
- Japan has a low birth rate
- A larger population of Singaporeans
- Short term interest rate increased in recent years...
- Why structured products are not popular in America...
- Decreasing term is really affordable
- Stop paying premiums on your whole life policy
- My Chinese name, Liang
- Does car insurance policy cover car pooling?
- Learn how to use public transport
- Valuing their labour
- Workfare Bonus
- Risk is to your advantage
- I treat all the lanes fairly
- Difference in terms used in American and Singapore...
- Better to buy term and invest the difference
- An honest investment banker
- My wife's cousin migrated to Australia
- Is private banking anything special
- Use a short word
- Why do my agents say that my insurance is not enou...
- Buy term and invest the difference
- My honest opinion
- Trailer Fee
- Term with critical illness cover
- Life Insurance Policy with Cash Payout
- ▼ 02/18 - 02/25 (34)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)